Volunteering for CMO
CMO relies heavily on volunteers to minister to inmates at the Sedgwick County Detention Facility in chapel services, Bible studies, and one-on-one counseling; also to perform data entry, office tasks, and report preparation for the sheriff’s office.
Thankfully, many volunteers have served for years in these capacities. However, additional volunteers are always needed.
Volunteer Opportunities in the CMO Workroom
Data Entry / Keyboarding
CMO activity must be documented electronically for accountability to the Sheriff’s department. For Chapel Services and group Bible studies, this means names of inmates who have requested chapel services, as well as those who have attended. CMO holds two or three services each day.
Direct Ministry to Inmates
Lead chapel services or group Bible studies; perform one-on-one Bible study, prayer and ministry in the ministerial booths.
Call us for additional information at 316-660-7513 or send us a message on our Contact page.
To volunteer, you must complete the following items:
- Application for Access to the Sedgwick County Adult Detention Facility . Requires a PDF reader (free). The application includes full instructions on the application process and where to mail it or deliver it in person.
Clergy please note: The Ministerial Privilege Affidavit (on page 11 of the application) is only required for performing one-on-one visits with inmates in the ministerial booths, not for conducting chapel services or Bible studies.
- Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) and Inmate Con Games training:
- What is PREA ?
- Watch required videos online:
- PREA video (05:17 min)
- Interpersonal Manipulation in a Detention Setting video (13 min)
- After watching the videos, come to the Inmate Coordinators’ office on the second floor of the Sedgwick County Adult Detention Facility to take brief quizzes on the videos and to complete the information acknowledgment form.
Note: Not all persons applying will necessarily be granted access to the facility. You must be approved by staff and pass a background check. Please contact the Inmate Coordinators at 316.660.0883,
M-F, 8-5, with any questions.